Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tax and application fee - joe55
I claimed and I got the money. Only the person filling the tax ask to see the receipt and nobody else ever ask for verification.Anyway I have all my document ready. He claimed the money as fee for education
I do not think it's possible legally. You would have to be a student registered at some US school in order to claim as education expenses. Hence, being an IMG and claiming that would not be possible.
I'm working in US. I claimed my rent and my exam fee
only if your education is related to your current job, but I guess it is almost a grey area
I don't know .I m working part time and usmle and my rent drain all my money. I m not doing anything wrong. IN case they ask I have my exam receipt ready.
oh well good luck. if you did already then you will have no problems.
seems like only joe did it from this forum, let us know if anyone else did this too
BTW, the fact that you claimed something and it worked doesn't mean it's right since not all tax returns get audited. Anyway, I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong here. I'm just saying that I've been looking myself into this carefully the last few years and I always find the answer that those fees are not tax deductible. For example, it's well known that SAT and the alike exam fees are not tax deductible...
Tried to post a link, but it wouldn't let me. Apparently you cannot claim money spent on a job search if it is your first job in that field. Somebody on another forum said they claimed $ spent on residency search and was audited and told that residency is the first job, and therefore, not eligible for tax deduction.

Like I said, it wouldn't let me post a link, but just google it and you will find it discussed previously.
I understand but I really did it and got 680 dollars back. I '' ll claime step 3 this year. But I won't claime application fee. But that should be possible.
the thing is you need to eat and stuff and If you spend too much, they give you some money back.
the money you got is not from what you pay for usmle, it is from your own money.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »