Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is it legal to write MD infront of our name - nimoz
actually, it could be before or after, depending on whether you write from left to right or from right to left...he he he!!!
Dear Nimoz

Let me put this discussion to an end.

As per US traditions, You are either a medical director (MD) or an Osteopathic doctor (DO). Accordingly you put MD or DO after your name irrespective of whether you have completed ECFMG or not.

MD or DO are put to differentiate between medical and osteopathic doctor and this denotes that you have completed your basic diploma.

Please feel free to use it before the start of your intership/residency. No harm or shame and nothing illegal or unethical.

Hope this answers your query.
Actually there is some relevance to this discussion. A chief resident in a NY program told me you need to have done at least one year of postgrad residency to legally be able to have an MD on your car's license plate. I'm assuming this is a state requirement, and that it differs in other states. So at least in NY, the rule appears to apply to both AMGs and FMGs.

Don't understand why people care so much about putting the stupid "MD" word after thier names or license plates. License plate wise, MD simply is the two letter symbol for the state Maryland (hello...anyone heard of it??). The "MD" behind your name or butt is not going to make u a better doctor...other than trying to feed your stupid ego that u went thru some medical training and think that u r different from someone elses without the "MD"...but whether u remember a damn thing after graduation is a completely different story! Some people here just don't know how big this world is and even a nobel prize winner in medicine only knows less than 0.000001% of all one can learn in science and medicine. Just go to the library and pull out any scientific/medical journal and I bet 99.99999% of the things u have never heard of. So why don't those of u who think u r superior cuz of your stupid "MD" degrees just swallow your stupid ego and be humble and learn something real in medicine before thinking about MD in front or back of your ass!

i think u all are missing the point.

None of you can just put MD behind your name in the USA if you are a foreign grad.

U actually have to apply for a temp. license before u start residency. Once they send u an approval..then u may but MD.

Unless u want to get sued here,,,,,go ahead and tell everyone u are a doc.
Avctually an intersting thing happened today.
i thought we cannot write MD AND POSTED MY RATHER RUDE COMMENTS THIS MORNING. I jUST RECEIVED AN E MAIUL FROM MY INSTRUCTOR AND SHE HAS SUBMITTED A PPAER FOR ME FOR PUBLICATION AND i WAS SURPRISED SHE ADDED MD to my name. sHE KNOWS ILL BE STARTING RESIDENCY.
AND I WILL ADMIT I DID NOT MIND IT AT ALL. AND BELIEVE ME I AM NOT THE NUMBER PLATE KINDS. CALL IT HIDDEN EGO OR WHAT. I DONT KNOW. BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING
hey bud...

u can put md for publications...but when it comes to health care...u are not a licenced doc yet. unless the state has approved u already.
i have a question.what if someone clears step1 step2CS and CK and also step3.BUT does not do residency in USA.......what benefit will that bring.
and also u can be M.D after graduating from any medical school but you are only M.D(USA) after being ecfmg certified.
Guys, will you stop bickering?

You can put MD after your name, because you are one. Bud is right, I have papers with MD after my name.

But, you won't can the privelege to practice without getting a license which you acquire by passing the USMLEs and doing a residency.

It is not illegal to put MD after your name if you are so interested, but what's the point if you can't practice?

Bravo Lentivirus, well said!!! A good number of doctors and lawyers have this narcissitic feeling about themselves and constantly need to reinforce their egos that they are better than others. They go to great lengths to do that from license plates to stamping on their butts.....chill off guys, there is more to life than being a doctor.....like modesty or humanity.
i agree with chcentaur. i was actually briefed by my prof on that. it will always depend on your degree. if you were conferred the degree "doctor of medicine" which is MD, then you can use MD. Same goes for our friends who have MBBS...they can use MBBS after their surname. what my prof told me though is that you can always call yourself an MD or MBBS and even have it at the end of your name but you simply CANNOT use the title MD UNLESS you are actually working as one (i.e. we cannot put MD or doctor in a form that asks for our occupation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »