Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
♥♥♥ROL Experiences of Last Year: - cafe
This is completely untrue. You rank based on you preference, not based on how much IMGs the program take.........I can't believe this point is not clear to everybody yet. It's official point, mentioned in the NRMP and everywhere for christ sake!
Yeah. I agree with keane. The op didn't match last year because none of the 14 programs they ranked last year had ranked him/her high enough to match there. There is no technique or trick to the ROL other than ranking them according to your preference.
Worst advice from a seasoned veteran I've ever heard which only tells me that you have no idea how the match process works.

The reason you didnt match wasnt because of your ROL but the fact that the programs that you listed didn't rank you high enough PERIOD.

If the program on the bottom of the list had ranked you within the alotted number of seats they have (i.e. if they have ten seats and you are #9) you would have matched.

The match algorithm works in the applicants favor so if you had an invite from top tier program and truly want that program then you should rank it number one.

Don't blame your inadequacies and poor interview outcome on the ROL.

Please go watch the instructional video that NRMP provides and the examples they include on their website before you start giving such awful advice.

For once I agree with Mr Moofy
The ROL is very simple.

Rank in the order of preference from those programs you interviewed at.

The system will work its way down the list until it finds a match which basically means to take full advantage you should rank the best programs high. If you get lucky and somehow get in then thats great otherwise the algorithm keeps on working down the list to your least favorite.

Its not rocket science guys.

It really pisses me off when someone comes here spewing forth misinformation that a hapless soul may take to heart.
"I am US born and bred, I think my interviews were not an issue but my ROL."

Are you kidding, even US born and bred candidates have issues with interviewing skills. I went to an interview this week in which a US born and bred candidate was carrying on about his PhD in neuroscience from the University of Georgia, and mentioned it in every conversation he had with someone from the program, and tried to say it makes him perfectly prepared to conduct genetics research (?) because the program had a genetics lab...He monopolized every group conversation with his excessive, arrogant self-promotion. At the end of the day, he asked the chief resident for a ride back to his hotel and the chief resident refused and gave him a taxi number instead...clearly he did not like the guy, and none of the other interviewees did either.

Language is not the only thing that affect interviews. It can be hard to make the right impression during an interview and I've seen some extremes so far in all candidates, no matter where they were born and raised....the standoffish, almost mute AMGs, the excessively self-promoting American born and raised USIMG, the DO student who gave unsavory details about her pregnancy, the AMG whose behavior was impeccable but who wore a cleavage-baring shirt, tall boots and too much jewelry....and I'm sure I'll see a lot more.........
Also agree with moofmonster...
to cafe and all other? please advice
i had iv in one of good university program(please i will not name the program).most of the applicant are AMG, for me IMG ,good score.the chairman of the department and other doctors were good with me during iv.the problem the PD was rude and even give advice to apply to other programs that ok for IMG. after the iv i sent thank letter to all interviewer,and after few days the chairman reply that i was doing good and we will be considering you highly..........??????, now i am confused how should i rank this program??
Rank it number one if its where you want to go, you have nothing to lose. If the Chairman was telling the truth and ranked you high enough you will match there. Otherwise the algorithm will keep on working its way down your list.
@cafe

let me clarify something for you. I called the NRMP myself and I read the information they have on their website. If you DON'T match, it simply means that the programs you interviewed with didn't rank you high enough to match. It has nothing to do with your rank order list. The match is designed to favor the applicants more than the programs. Let's say there is a program with 10 spots and the PD ranks me #10 and you #11. Even though it may be #1 on your list and #20 on my rank list, if I don't match into something higher on my rank list you cannot take that 10th spot away from me. People think that there is a special algorithm where if a program ranks you high and if you don't rank them high you won't match. It's not true. There is no special algorithm. Alot of it is luck too. You also have to be lucky that the people that were ranked ahead of you in that program match into something higher on their rank list. You can also be ranked #50 for a program with 10 spots and still match into that program if everyone else ahead of you matches somewhere else they prefer more.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »