Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a dilemma, please help to solve - rn2009
I agree that abortion is legal and every woman has the right to make that choice. However, I disagree with how jjrodz suggested it. Read the OP's original post at the top. Nowhere in her post will you find that she is considering a termination of her pregnancy. She is only considering 2 things: either withdraw from the Match or go on with the match.

Now just pretend that her conversation was in person, not here on the forum. Is it appropriate for a physician to suggest having an abortion when the OP is not even considering it? The OP's health or life is not in danger. She is just worried about the Match. There are thousands of women who had maternity leave during residency. At the hospital I'm doing observership now, there is 1 intern who took time off and the Chief Res as well. They rearrange schedules and yes they are delayed, but they worked it out. So to suggest to someone to terminate their baby as a first option is just lacking a lot of common sense. Being a resident is not just about book smarts, you need common sense, logical problem solving, compassion and good repoire.
" Dr., I'm thinking about not applying for residency due to my pregnancy, what would you suggest?"
" Well, I suggest you terminate the pregnancy."- Now how do you think this conversation would go, if it was face to face.You have to go through a logical pattern of problem solving with critical thinking skills. Would jjrodz suggest a termination of pregnancy as the first and logical option, if it was his wife or sister asking advice from him?
Get off your high horse. The presentation of the optionwas not made in the setting of an office. It is merely an option that is legal and legitimate. And do not twist my words. I didn't order her out suggest to her to do it, i said could. It is a valid option. Do not mix up your own personal viewpoints. It is legal even if the mother's life is not in danger.

Also getting a residency is all about scores and connections, do not delude yourself. Being a nice and good person cradling everyone's feelings has nothing to do with getting residency. I firmly believe this is the reason a lot of people fail to match, thinking that other things matter and mixing in their own personal beliefs into the match process. A lot of people here are severely lacking cultural competency.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »