Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
♥♥♥ROL Experiences of Last Year: - cafe
well put massud and that is exactly how it works. Your ROL will not matter in if you match or not. If a program wants you than you will match. Even if you rank it last, as long as they want you than you will get it
Oh and I forgot to mention...the AMG who wore a cream-colored suit! He looked like a pimp! All he needed a was a cane to complete the look...

@massud wrote: "Alot of it is luck too. You also have to be lucky that the people that were ranked ahead of you in that program match into something higher on their rank list."

This is the point I am trying to make massud, well put.

Like I said earlier, I know that if a program ranks me at number 5 for their 5 spots, I will match even if I rank it 14. But if my ROL is filled with programs that are for example more AMG friendly than IMG friendly then no matter how far down the list the software goes, I might not match because at every one of those programs they might have ranked AMG's higher than me and the AMG's might have ranked those programs higher also and this all spots would have been filled by then. LUCK LUCK LUCK but also your ROL.

@lolared50: I think you have read too many "how to interview" books based on your post. We Americans, like to see your personality and not a robot who reads a book and behaves accordingly in the interview!Smile

When I said "born and bred here" it means that I understand the way of life, how Americans think, etc I think you did not understand the meaning behind that!! I suggest that you should stop reading those books and just be yourself during the interviews!Smile

All those AMG's/DO's/USIMG's that you ridiculed were talking and wearing what they were wearing based on their personality unlike you who might have simply followed what was written in a "how to interview book"!! The fact is those people who were themselves would be remembered, whether the program likes them or not would depend on the personalities of faculty within the program, who at most programs would be AmericansSmile

And, I would not have gotten the prematches that I had received last year if I was not a good fit for those programs!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Good luck to you all♥

**wrote all this before cafe's last response, but posting anyway. =)

what i think cafe might have made a mistake with regarding his ROL is not listing enough programs. That can certainly happen and is listed as one of the reasons that AMGs do not match in the NRMP survey. I have read about candidates that got great responses from certain programs and ended up not ranking all the programs that they interviewed at. This is a serious mistake. I think you should rank all of the programs that you are willing to go to -- you invested time and money to interview at the hospitals and should rank ALL.

As I said before in another thread, us IMGs do not have a guaranteed number with which we will definitely match. For example, 5 ppl with 15 or more interviews did not match last year for pathology. For AMGs, they were guaranteed to match (statistically) if they ranked at least 10 programs.

it is possible to make a mistake with ROL and not match, but it will be because you didnt rank enough programs, not because of the order that you ranked them.

i think this may be true particularly for candidates that had good enough credentials to get a lot of interviews and chose to go to only their top choices or ranked only top choices. I think the prudent thing to do is to apply to less desirable programs too and rank them at the bottom.
@cafe- might all 14 call from best program, where more amg then img and u did not match.
its nothing wrong with rol
for all- number of call does nt matter, its mater how many img, how many from yr country, how many fresh graduate in past and all thing..

Lets say I went to one program, which highly prefer middle east, one program- they highly prefer who haas finished residency in their home country..so that calls are useless for me.

so loots of thing mater.

@rinku418

Ya, seems like you are the only one who has understood what I am trying to say hereSmile You can see the algorithm and all but have to understand other things too while ranking.

Of course, there is nothing you can do if you only have interviews from top programs that may take only the very occasional IMG or none. The other mistake I did was not ranking all the programs, which will not happen this time thoughSmile
@cafe

That's not how you sounded in your original message. You sounded as if you were trying to say your ROL does matter as far as how you rank the programs. Anyways, let's let that go.

I just wanted to say that you made a fatal error by not accepting the prematch you were offered last year. Why did you decline a prematch and then take a chance of matching into programs that, according to you, weren't IMG friendly? Your odds of matching would be very low in this case. If your ROL had some programs which were very IMG friendly then you can take the risk. I wouldn't turn down a prematch so that I can take a shot at the match if all of those programs were more for AMGs and accepts very few IMGs.
@massud:

Like I said earlier "my arrogance" thinking I would match where I wanted to match. Of course, my arrogance was partly based on my creds too. I declined 2 prematches last year when I did not know as much as I do now about the whole match process, ranking, etc I am going to rank all my programs this year including transitional year programs.

But am really hoping for a prematch this time. I have most of my interview from Dec, so hoping for the bestSmile Please Jesus...won't make the same mistake as last timeSmile
"@lolared50: I think you have read too many "how to interview" books based on your post."

Maybe, but it sounds like you did not read enough of them if you did not match with 14 programs on your ROL and think the examples I listed are normal interview behavior and attire!

"We Americans, like to see your personality and not a robot who reads a book and behaves accordingly in the interview!Smile "

Who is "we?" I am an American, born and raised. And guess what, interviewers do expect behavior in accordance with some guidelines. It's not a party, it's an interview!

"When I said "born and bred here" it means that I understand the way of life, how Americans think, etc I think you did not understand the meaning behind that!! I suggest that you should stop reading those books and just be yourself during the interviews!Smile "

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I will take it if I don't match this year! However I feel that chances of my not matching are unlikely, as I have nearly 20 interviews and have decided to leave the pimp suit at home and rank all programs, regardless of how many IMGs/FMGs they admit. :-)

"All those AMG's/DO's/USIMG's that you ridiculed were talking and wearing what they were wearing based on their personality unlike you who might have simply followed what was written in a "how to interview book"!! The fact is those people who were themselves would be remembered, whether the program likes them or not would depend on the personalities of faculty within the program, who at most programs would be AmericansSmile"

I wouldn't want to be remembered for the wrong thing, would you? Yes, it definitely does depend on personality, but in America there is a certain expectation for what people should wear at interviews and people who depart from these expectations, in general, will be remembered for the wrong reasons...In medicine they don't teach us how to dress for interviews like they do in business school, but they don't judge us any differently....

Good luck to you!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »