Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am a chief resident reviewing applications - infarction
@ residency123

"Infarction said that , if you have all the LORs from the same ethinic background, it is a negative point and the whole world knows that its true.
If you are form India, do you dare to submit all the LORs from Indian doctors. Why do people crave to get int observerships and externships. I guess its for an LOR right ?"

dude..i have all my LORs from indian docs..from my coll.

and i have ivs...so different progs have different requirements! dont use one yard stick to measure everythin!!!

jus my 1 dollar *pricey*

Wink
To emma234,

While I was rotating at a different hospital recently, I met this great guy , a resident at that hospital. He is from Africa. He had bare minimum scores. He said he was very low financially from childhood. He did not even have any education until he was 15. Because of the horrible medical situations he experienced in his family and his society, he decided that he wanted to be a doctor at that age. He was like 27 or so by the time he finished his +2. Then he went to med school struggled a lot...., and applied for residency. Just for 15 programs and he had interviews from 14 of them.

He got that many interviews just because of his unique story in his PS.
So bottom line, PS is important !!!!!!!!!! Dont take it from a senior or someone else and edit it to fit your details in. Let it be UNIQUE. Your thoughts, your words, your dreams, your ambitions.
PS is very very very important. And for your guys who have low scores and stuff, this is extra important. 99% of the programs do read the PS. If I were a chief resident, just a 30 sec glance at the PS is sufficient to know the candidate and to know more about him/her.

I think he wants to be a chief resident and implement these rules when he is done with his med school, Usmle exams and internship. What a dreamer......

I dont know of anybody visiting this forum once they get into some residency.
Thanks to residency 123 for the input...... I think its a bad thing now days trying to help people....The out burst people had on my post was expected...but they should not be delusional... My job is to open their eyes and i hope i have.

Again PS is the core...your score is an illusion!!!!I can read one PS in 30-40 sec. I threw away atleast 35 application today who had scores in 90's, US citizen, Recent grad, Good Lors but lousy personal statement that showed little or no interest in the field they are applying....!!!!

Thanks to residency 123 again
Good luck to u all
Thank you residency123!
To boytoy18in,

Happy that you have interviews. What is said in this post is that they may help or may not help sometimes when you have all the LORs from the same ethinic doctors. When I applied in 2007, I had 25 odd interviews and all my LORs were from my country. But what Infarction said is also right.

I personally have few friends who got their LORs just because they know some indian doctor here in US. So my point is that if you have a US LOR from a doctor not belonging to your ethincity, it may help.

I did my externship after I applied for the residency in Oct 2007. Its under a Program director at a prestigious university in the US. The LOR he gave me was fabulous. Normally the LORs we get from US doctors are more personal and specific in nature. (Thats the key difference).
Since I was out of time to send my LOR to get it uploaded, the doctor gave me 25 letters to take with me to the interviews as he liked my work a lot. I had 4 pre matches out of the 10 interviews I attended and other schools said that they would rank me highly.
The program I am in is 90% just because of that letter. Hope you got my point!!

If I had this LOR, before I applied for the match, I would have easily doubled my interviews.

Thank you for the information.I really wish people on this forum were less negative and more appreciative of people trying to help them! Sometimes reading the comments by some forum users feels like being mentally assaulted! People we are all stressed out there is no need to be rude,maybe thjat kind of attitude comes through in your PS and that is why you don't have any interviews!
agree with Timon6
i dont see any outbursts on sensible threads...not tat ur thread isnt..

no one is sayin tat PS is not the most imp part of the application..it surely is..
ru endorsin some PS writin servive?? its a genuine ques and im bit skeptic...but dont take me wrong...

ur doin a great job by helpin others...and thanx again for ur valuable input.
i didnt agree on some of ur pts..so jus raised my concern.

PEACE!

this is an idiot who shouldn't be given this position to determine peoples fate.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »