Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this is unbelievable - bajaj_patel
Here is my opinion. I am from Latin America and I think this discusion had gotten just too long and way out of proportion. Things to consider:

1. Considering geography (distance) and costs, it is a lot easier for Latin american med students to do elective clerkships in the US. That is, meaningful USCE (hands on experience) and most importantly, good reccommendation letters. I know I did and almost everyone from my home country that applies to the US had done that.

2. Nowadays, LORS are probably at the same level of importance of scores. As I been said by one PD: "5 years ago we received 1000 applications and about 60% passed our screening score. Now, we received almost 2000 application and 85% passed that screeing. Now we need to look to other things, basically the LORS". And, in most of my interviews, the interviewer liked to comment about my LORS.

3. Quality of LORS is very important. Specially the more competitive programs want meaningful, hands on experience, preferibly University based USCE. And, for achieving that, the best thing is doing this while still in med school. Those who are looking for observership at a private practice office, taking vitals and things like that, well, they are better than nothing (probably better than home country LORS), but they will not be enough for securing an interview. As I been said by another PD: "we really can't consider a LOR that might be written by the applicant's uncle as far as we know".

4. I received a good number of invitations, and from those programs, probably in 10% they have someone from my home country. So, saying that we get interviews because of "contacts" is far from true. In fact, I just sent my applications and wait. I didn't call any "contact" for getting me an interview.

5. Something important though, is that maybe 30% of my programs, did have some previous experience with people from my home country. PD's are not stupid. When they find someone from a med-school/country that was excellent, they will stick with that med school until they find someone that is not that good and then probably won't call anyone from there for the next couple of years. And if you consider the volume of people of India compared to those from Latin america, that apply (just look at this forum) and got a residency in the past (maybe is a 10:1 ratio), it is a lot more easy to find someone from India that had screwed it in the past (only because of volume...during my rotations in the US i found people from India that were brilliant, but also some that had more problems to adapt to the new culture), so now that program won't call anyone from India, or at least, they will become more selective. And again, considering that many, if not most, Latin american applicants have had USCE, they usually have less problems to adapt. It is not who is a better doctor. There are brilliant people in both places, but also people that are not so brilliant. And the latter are the ones that damages the possibilities for future home country applicants.

Well, those were just a few thoughts. There are more things, but that will take me a whole day probably to type. Good luck and stop fighting, we are all in the same boat, regardless of which continent we came from.

Best wishes.
i heard of that cheating in usmle steps overseas and they closed coupl of centers. it's very clear there is something going on, most very high scores. oh my god and we in usa struggle to pass!
suckers! (you all)

back to bajaj's concern:
dude I thought everyone knew this but... anyways... scores, LORS, USCE research,etc will just get you the interview, thereafter is all about the interview.. by the way 99 doesn't make you better in medine than any other guy, great publications and research tells nothing 'bout your clinical or communication skills, and PDs just want people who can do the job in their program. You might excel at the job in your home country, in your native language, but that doesn' matter. So, 1) language, 2) interpersonal skills 3) personality 4) are you special? will you bring something else to the program? 5) are you going to be difficult?... and different PDs will give different weight to these. They even ask their residents for their opinion.
About that cultural thing you've noticed.. it is indeed a cultural thing and at some point it might reflect on one of those 5 issues I mentioned... right or wrong who knows.. latinamericans have fewer cultural differences with northamericans.. some programs (PDs and residents) might consider that.

Fact: Latinamerica will kick everyone else's butt in the World Cup in Germany.

Cheers.

arriba mexico!!!!
it's about freaking time!
its shithead dude... hey mohit and bunch... thanks for illustrating why are you guys being rejected... stinky bastards
doc_droc_apurva, drmohit, bajaj_patel
Your kind develop sanskrit so much that its now a dead language, ha, ha, hope you dont try to develop anything else here, anyway you'll prob. will be rank high coz some PD might be afraid you might not mach and end up killing yourself and in the process "accidentally" kill a bunch of ppl. Let not forget what you did to Mohandas, Indira and Rahib Ghandi. Soon usmle will be in spanish will see how you guys perform.
carter:

it's also sheethead if you wrap one around your head.
Rahib Ghandi...........lol.......who the hell is he?? a latino...!!!
Columbus, google it to find proper names for illustrations....its still time to improve your english before you start your residency......i mean.....if you do ;-)

I wonder why the programs have started screeing for drugs, proper immigration docs, criminal background checks, checking whether one is involved in digging any more underground tunnels from Mexico to CA....
cheers all latinos!!
Hi guys i dont want to go into this discussion of who is great between indian and latin americans bse i m an indian and i respect latineamericans. I jst wanna tell u Pls dont bring the god in the discussion. Pls! Hope everyone gets resi of their choice. Thanx bye
Hey who cares how to spell Rahib or Rajib same dead guy you know exactly who am talking about, and sure its not english. I want to clarify that I have nothing against indian or any other nationality, but I junt can't bear racists comments and I can not stand whinners. GL to all the rest.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »