Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Trump Effect - drstem
Dr Kashvi,
I don't think its even legal for me to barge in if I'm uninvited. All the non US IMGs are only going to come in if they're selected, if they're wanted and if they match.
Also, I understand the sentiments about privilege for US IMG and you guys should have it, no doubt. But I dont know if the solution to that is eliminating non - US IMGs from the picture. It should be a hierarchial system which takes citizenship to consideration. I also believed it worked that way.
If a ban on potential non US imgs are to come in to the picture, ban on them writing the licensing exams should also be implemented. It doesn't make sense to let people write exams when you are going to block them out. For ex, Dubai residency exam is only to be written by those holding a resident id.So these may not be a practical move, given the physician shortage.

Also about Indian licensing, its not an exam, but OCI card, Overseas Citizen of India. You should eligible for it but like you said, it may only be in papers. Reality may be different.
Drpsyched... I agree with you that non US Citizens should not be even allowed to write the usmle exams just like many exams in India require Indian citizenship. And yes the non US Citizen IMGs were able to come in if they were selected TILL NOW. NOW all that will change as the wall is being built. And why do you keep saying that non US Citizens should not be banned?!! What right do non US Citizens have to claim our spots on foreign land?!! You just cannot come here and claim like that on things that are not yours. They are meant for Citizens only and that's why the ban is essential. That hierarchy system which you are dreaming about already exists!! And we Americans are suffering at the cost of Non us Citizen IMGs!! This needs to STOP.

And I know about OCI. That's dual citizenship that we US Citizens can apply for if we want.

And @ dyz123.... You better watch your language about what you are saying about Indians. I may be a US Citizen but I love my motherland India too. I am not going to tolerate any negative comments about India!! So please talk respectfully.
Because the ban should happen after banning them from taking exams. It doesn't make sense the other way around. The wall is for illegal immigrants and unfortunately for some Muslim countries. Trump has not given his clear stand on residencies or imgs. He even said he wanted to retain Indian students who are being kicked out after graduation. It is quite uncertain! And, yes, I was crazy enough to waste half my day on this discussion. Let me get back to studying. Good luck to you too! But there's one stand of yours I dont understand. Why the disinterest in 15000 residency positions and #savegme. Even if non us imgs are banned, due to increase in medical schools, there won't be enough positions to amgs even. Not sure how that would work in anybody's favor.
In the end we all want to match right . Yes it's brutal yes it's unfair. But you have to admit if you believe in free market competition it can't be only to your benefit.
Things will only get more difficult because truth is eventhough we are US citizens, we are all still IMGs. You all think it's that difficult to get a US citizenship huh? I have two friends with low step scores and they opted to have arranged marriage to get citizenship to further increase their chances.

If US IMGs are going to ne considered first I can bet you you guys will still not match if your scores aren't competitive ( eventhough we know it takes more than scores to match, your interview skills and connection goes a long way too and I can tell from the way most of your type and write here, your attitude will filter you out because no matter how much you hide it, there will be a reflection of it. The kind of doctors American hore are not arrogant or feel overly unduely entitled to things)

At the end of the day, all the so called people you want chased out will seek sveral available options that 'our' parents sought to become a citizen and then the competition even gets stiffer and before you know it, the passing score to be called for interviews will be 240. Rather than stay here sulk and write petitions or hate on Indians because most of them study hard to get high scores focus on making yourself a competitive candidate such that having a US citizenship will be an added advantage.

I am African but priviledged to have been born here, I schooled in Africa and I prepared very well for my steps to get above average scores, never for once did I think holding a blue passport is the solution to my problem. Rather I will put in my best in all required of me(scores, good LORs as well great interview skills)
America will always want the best and not just hire you because you are a lazy citizen who feels entitled to nothing. Get off your high horses and act like civil citizens y'all should be.

PS: I know you'd all fire back but do I care? Take several seats back and do a bit of reflection before spitting nonsense
Anyone on this forum is an IMG. Any IMG can appreciate multiculturalism. Any American was once a foreigner (unless you are a Native American).

Every single person on this forum should have an appreciation, respect, and thankfulness for immigration.

Extreme protectionism is despicable.
Stop this useless thread....
@chigurl thankyou for saying that!
This thread has become less healthy and more racist.
I wouldnt say its useless thread. Why someone who graduated in 2016, IMG, with no USCE, research , without residency in his home country, barely speaking English with scores 10 points higher than mine becomes better candidate than me, who is also IMG, but US citizen, with bunch of research projects, perfect English, with long history of working in health care here? While this person uses against me his YOG/scores etc, why couldnt I use blue passport against him? Its a competition, and you will use any" weapon " you have on you. The problem only, at this moment, citizenship doesnt play the role it should play and hope it will be changed soon.
Have you tried to ask yourself if you're a better candidate amidst your pears( I mean those with US citizenship) I can bet there are loads of US citizens with YOG older than yours, better scores and way better experience and they still match. Also there are tons of US IMGs graduating yearly with netter scores than you. So I say to you, search within and look for a better reason you're frustrated. Don't blame it on a system, when your thinking is like this in life, inly then can success embrace you otherwise you're on a long jolly ride........

I have learnt in lifer NEVER to blame my FAILURE to achieve something on anyone or the society... Your success in life is right there within your reach!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »