Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurology 2010-2011 - neuroguru
@ guru, the reputation and name does matter , otherwise , why wud u rank it 1st? don't tell me bcos it was the friendliest program! BCM is well known for being malignant.
some faculty left it for UT and some for methodist and some open their own private, mainly due to financial instabilty. but not sure how wud this affect residents.
@smart, no, to some people reputation and name might matter, but to me personally, it doesn't matter. I felt that UTSW and Baylor are programs which make a very competent clinical neurologist because of the HUGE exposure and pathology that you get from Parkland (UTSW) and TMC (Baylor). They have faculty who are on top of their field and I think learning from those people can be really beneficial. I would have chosen another program (even if it was less reputed and didnt have a big name if it had the same kind of exposure and faculty). I could really care less about name or reputation. I didn't know that BCM is known as a malignant program. As far as financial instablitity, that's an aspect I have heard too. I think they did lose faculty to Methodist, but I thought that was when they split with Methodist, but I didn't know they are losing faculty even right now. Do you know where you will be ranking them?
And as far as friendliness, I did feel that the residents and the faculty seemed friendly. I didn't really get the impression that they were 'mean' or 'rude'. Again, that was just my impression and my 'gut feeling' was positive from Baylor and UTSW. This doesnt mean anything though, because in the end I might not match at them at all. Do you know which will be your top choices yet? (BTW, I really am rooting for you buddy and I hope you get into your top choice)!
@ guru...Thanks buddy. well said, however , sometimes good faculty and good expossure is what make the program reputation and the name.
in all my interviews, i don't remember seeing 'rude' or ' mean' residents , not even faculty, not on iterview date at least Smile
I haven't looked up my choices yet or made my list , i'll take few days off then get back to them. im trying to combine friendly environment with good training. GL to all of us
@smart, buddy, I agree with what you said. There were one or two programs, where the interviews were stress iv's and I felt the faculty were 'mean' during the iv. Those programs, I won't be ranking. I haven't made up my mind either, but I am just taking this time to think and ponder about different programs and trying to gather info. In the end, UTSW or Baylor may or may not be my top choices. Do let me know when you have finalized your list! The only program that I think we both have ived at is Baylor and UAZ, and other then that, we both will have completely different list. It would be interesting and fun if we end up at the same prog.
yeah , that will be cool.
@meuroguru: there is no more methodist hospital rotation @baylor..I talked with residents and they told me they used to have 1 mnth rotation at methodist for EEG and now onwards from this year no more rotation at methodist...and plus no more Dr. Appel..which is the biggest disadvantage....faculty is still moving away from baylor... plus 150$ every month for parking and
all hospitals are very far, eventhough all are in campus.
utsw: excellent and stable faculty, good research opportunity, fellowship opportunities are really good....though VA is bit far...
can anyone throw some light on LOYOLA vs MCW??
@ neuroguru : Actually i needed a peice of advice from you. i have good scores 99/99 and i applied late this year and i got my certification late , i have some IM calls but i am not interested in going to those places , i really like neurology , i just wanted some peice of advice from you how do i get good neurology calls next year , i am a foreign grad from india , and back there we dont have any separate neuro rotations and i have graduated already so there is no way i can do any clerkships here , so how can i make a strong neurology profile , coz i am really interested in neurology. I am asking u coz u wud leave the forum pretty soon so i just wanted some advice from u. Thanks in advance
@snowhite99, thanks for your opinion. I know that the Baylor residents will not be rotating through Methodist anymore. Baylor has St Lukes, which they added after they separated from Methodist it seems, which also seems a good private hospital. Definitely not having Dr. Appel to learn from seems a big disadvantage, but he had left Baylor since the split I thought. Do you know of any recent faculty that have moved away from Baylor (let's say in the last 2 years)? If so, can you please list them? I agree all hospitals seem very far, but then you are on call at one hospital at a time though. I can't find many negatives with UTSW either, it seems a gem of a program! Some tough choices to make ahead.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »