Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
indian imgs who mathced- thread - mmmmm136
hey matched in cat gen surg....go India!!
i'm in too..
Great work Indians!

Rest of us are thrilled to see you all succeed. However as the post title says, we sincerely hope that you all PLEASE POST YOUR EXPERIENCES TOO.

eg your Scores, Visa status, US externships/LORs, Prior residency/research, places you Applied to, places you Received interviews.....then after march 15, Place you Matched.
i am in .my credentials 99,99,pass,91,i month observership,need visa,no research exp.got 12 iv,ranked 10.
this forum was so helpful through out my usmle prep
thanks to all
I m in ...!

90/96/pass/84... GC/no USCE/ 2002/all Indian LOR - Resonably good. one OK LOR from indian american.. / residency in Gen Surgery from India/ No research....

applied to 70 surgery + 20 Medicine (Back Up... becs... i didnt match last year in surgery .. so didnt want to take chance this year)....

Got 15 Surgery IV...(very good No... Had to cancel 4 IV) and 9 Medicine IV

Got one prematch from Medicine...didnt accept...

and the irony.... I certified my ROL early on as I was heading out from my home...and I got prematch at prelim surgery at big University Hospital in 2nd week of Feb... I did not accept as I did not want to mess with NRMP after certifying my ROL..

Ranked 7 categorical surgery, 5 prelim surgery, 3 IM

Matched to prelim surgery........Yet longway to Go............

my 2 cents :

1)
Any one interesting pursuing surgery ------ Dont be demoralised by some pple saying that its IMPOSSIBLE.. so many pple will say that..... I would say its definitely competitve...but NOT IMPOSSIBLE........ most important thing..... Planning and use strategies.... I didnt match to categorical becs of my interviewing skills+ Gap in CV + NO USCE.... and may be becs of 5 years since grad....

there are examples who matched to categorical... maverick, hedc... etc...

I have also come across so many indians and docs from indian subcontient successfully in categorical spots and doing well as residents and also having good success in ABSITE and board exams....

2)
IF u are fresh grad ...... u have advantage......most academic and Uni . PDs are willing to train fresh instead of dealing with already mature surgeons trained from third world countries..
and there is other aspect of this scenario as well.... there are some comunity hospitals ... where they want trained pple to take care of the floors on their own very early on.........but academics might be mediocre....

and dont worry about fellowship when u think of surgery... in surgery..its difficult to get in as a categorical resident ...but after that fellowship is not that difficult....

i.e.....CT surgery, Transplant surgery, Minimal and Lap surgery.... are not that difficult to get in at this time... Colorectal, plastic competitive but not impossible.... Onco surgery, Peds surgery .... very very difficult even for AMGs...

3)
To anyone who is still in India and doing MBBS and thinking of surgery........ BE QUICK dont loose time..............dont worry about visa........ GC helps to certain extent that you can apply to any geographical area whre you want to leave
if you want visas....... u need to do your homework well before applying ... to findout the places where they sponser visas.... and u will be able to find good enough programs through out the country... but running for the IVs might be expensive in that scenario...

4)CV - GAP

Thats not at all DESIRABLE to show gaps on the CV......... if there is any .. try to explain perfectly...... DONT BE COMPLETELY TRUTH FUL............ but u can modify your facts to certain extent.(PDs - pls forgive me)..... I was completely truthful...... but had difficult time explaining it to the PDs..even though i was genuine.......( may my communication skills are not that good)

5) PS
Its very very Important........ dont make it more than one page even though there is lots of space available on ERAS..... and try to make it unique......

6)
Most of the time PDs will go thru ur PS,CV.,LOR at the time of interview , just in front of you.......but there are some PDs who read complete application in detail, before they start interviewing you.......
During IV... Its your turn again....to prove yourself....... You have already proved it on paper.( as you have already been granted an IV)...NOW ITS ON THE FIELD...
DONT LET IT BE LIKE INDIAN CRICKET TEAM........... !!!!try to perform better than what you look like on paper...

7)
Try to go to 2-3 practice IVs...becs some of the Indians have difficulties during IVs even though they are very good at english..... apply to the programs where you dont want to go but... the program will definitely invite you..
GO TO PRACTICE FOR IVs..... that will make you confident... and will help indians.... to talk clearly and interact properly among the amercian pple.... its just that we have to adapt ourselves to this culture... becs here it is cosidered very imp..

8)
Prepare a good case to present...because u will be asked during almmost all IVs... need not to be your real exp.......... just take out any case from book in which u are interested.. and then present....... and really master that case from all aspect

9)
USCE ............the most Important............. Try to use conncection and resource... get some USCE preferrably in Surgery..... I know its lot easier said then done.... i was not able to find one ....

10)
There are programs where they take prelims just becs they need hands to work at junior most levels... but they wont even consider giving them IV for categorical next year... so do your homework and try to get first hand info... Dont rely on word of mouth...

11) last but not least - BE REALISTIC ... about ..our scores. LOR , Experience and competitiveness, financial condition, social responsibilities.. etc..... as more and more AMGs are applying for Surgery....

... hopefully these help to all applying for the nex match and not only Indians.... open to any suggestion...

GL to every one.....

good work nauty....an advice....post this in a seperate thread as well with heading like 'advice for future surgeons'. would help the forthcoming year aspirants. once again, an awesome post
thanx maverick... i will make some changes and will do that....
I'm in too!!! had bad scores but did 4 months of usce...had 8 IV...i think the main thing which saved the day was my usce....as otherwise my application was very bad!!
thanx nauty 4 ur advise
I am in too. matched in anesthesia.
every one in this forum has been very helpful and it was a big support.
Thanx everyone and good luck.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »