Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Digitalis toxicity - doc_vic
anyone knows MOA for thiazide increasing digitalis toxicity? same as lithium by increasing reabsorption in PCT?
electrolyte imbalance

hypokalemia caused by thiazides causes digitalis toxicity
hi vikisin.

how hypokalemia enhance digitalis activity?

anybody pls explain?
both hyper and hypokalemia can cause arrhythmia.

I dont know how but this is my guess. In hypokalemia extracellular k is low so more potassium would rush out or less would go out leading to defect in phase 3 and 4 and can lead to defective or less repolarization and premature beats or delayed after depolarizations.

wild 2 min guess.

I dont know how but this is my guess. In hypokalemia extracellular k is low so more potassium would rush out or less would go out leading to defect in phase 3 and 4 and can lead to defective or less repolarization and premature beats or delayed after depolarizations.

wild 2 min guess.

wild 2 min guess.

wild 2 min guess.
SORRY...I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT POSTED IT SO MANY TIMES SORRY

I am just copy/pasting.

According to Katzung,

'INTERACTIONS WITH POTASSIUM, CALCIUM, AND MAGNESIUM
Potassium and digitalis interact in two ways. First, they inhibit each other's binding to Na+/K+ ATPase; therefore, hyperkalemia reduces the enzyme-inhibiting actions of cardiac glycosides, whereas hypokalemia facilitates these actions. Second, abnormal cardiac automaticity is inhibited by hyperkalemia (see Chapter 14). Moderately increased extracellular K+ therefore reduces the effects of digitalis, especially the toxic effects.'

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »