Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*****scramble 2011***** - pahology11
Hi all, nice discussion, I like this thread very much.

@patho,
I agree, I would apply to both speciality. And also the program will also understand the situation. If they ask i will answer honestly .

@emaemi
For the scramble, the prelim in any speciality will be attractive as scramble is our last chance, right?

During my interview, one of the interviewers adviced me that if i get any prelim position whether that is not your favourite (IM), you just take the chance and next year you can change to the speciality(OG) you want OR you can apply that same speciality (IM) in Categorical position of PGY1 again.

My opinion is we just need to get into this system whatever speciality, later it will be easier if we want to change again.

@jyta
yeah, you should try it as there is no cost and loss by doing scramble.
No one forsee our future.

When i apply ERAS, i subscribed Match A Resident , paid for 70 $ for internal Medicine ( cant remember exactly) for the lists of the program that I were eligible to apply with my credentials.
So you dont need to research every programs, and you won't loose money instead of applying all programs that are not eligible with your credentials.

But i am not sure, it will be worth it if you pay for the lists for scramble.
I hope my answer will help you.
@emami
I am sorry, what the TY stands for ?
( as you said.. preliminary positions in IM and Surgery and TY)

@forever07
Thanks for your input.
TY stands for Transitional Year.
Oh, I got you now, thanks.
@forever 07, u said to take prelim and then change to speciality next year. Is it worth it? I was told by one PD during email conversation, to apply for prelim then they will consider me, but I applied to only categorical obgyn. obviously I did not get interview, it was already december and could not think properly. wherever I get i am planning to move with family and was wondering what if I don't get second year and have to move again, it will be hard for my child. But now I am desperate and even ready to settle for fm anywhere. do u think it is wise to accept prelim if i get? how hard will it be to get second year? I see bunch of second year position in acog website all the time but people tell not easy to get. what have to heard about prelim positions?
Hi @reetu
I answer your Q here dear.

do u think it is wise to accept prelim if i get?
I believer, YES.

to take prelim and then change to speciality next year....
Yes, that is what i was told by one interviewer. They understand how difficult to get a position in OG . And he adviced me to get any speciality, any prelim for first year , then try next year.

how hard will it be to get second year?
I have no idea buddy, i hope someone will answer you.

I also applied only Categorical position for Og, but during IV, PD asked me that can i take a prelim if in case and i replied YES.

So, don't loose your hope.
We have same feeling and suffering as we all are IMG, we are in same boat.
Thus why we are gathering here to help each other.
I understand for your child.
Wait, i will post something for you .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUlnXbmtSCo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ENJOY! Hang in there!
thanks forever07
can anybody please tell me if I could use the Specialty specific LOR to other specialies?
The thing is my LOR's cover letter mention that it's for IM. But now I want to assign it to other specialties like FM or ped for scramble. Can I do that?
Yes, you can do that, good idea.
Should upload now, if you have some other documents like personal statement ,if you want to add.
It will take few days.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »