Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*****scramble 2011***** - pahology11
thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. good luck.
hi forever07 this thread is going very informative and good and keep it up and i also heard about so many new thing. foreever07 plz contact me at yahoo mail i need to talk to you about the scramble . can you /any one tell what is the difference b/w transitional yr residency and prelimmenary residency. while catagorial i know is that we get it for 3 yrs straight forward. is that correct..
Hi @bilal

I am also want to clear your question.

Can some one answer PLEASE?
transitional and preliminary almost like interchangeable. One year you do before the advance programs. I dont know the clear cut differences though. bilal1, you got it ;categorical is where you go and finish your 3-4 year training.
what has better options and less competitive ??

Preliminary IM or Transitional or IM categoral ?
ty- just like intern year we do back home, moving from department to department. u do it before advanced position or if u r out of practice for long then to refresh it AMG's do it. it gives good clinical exerience, but all scut job. no one cares to teach u becuase u will be there for only few weeks to months.
prelim- same as categorical but for only 1-2 year, no guarentee u will be getting next year and have to reapply all as new unless your programmes hires u. and many people say they give preference to categorical students and less chances of surgical handson if u r prelim. one pd told me prelim most of the time ends up some where at the end but again no guarentee.
@ rivozzz def prelim or ty will be less competative than categorical.
i mean Prelim should be more competitive..because if u got a whole year prelim...then u did 2 things:

1st: got the strongest USCE so next year yr cv will be very strong when u apply for pgy2 in advanced postion
in a better speciality that IM as in comparison to those apllicants who have never been a resident before
and trying to get into a good residency which require prelim year
2nd: got strong connections if u work hard and maybe secure a position easier

but also categorical is good because:

1: if u took a year prelim and want to shift to a new residency..why not complete the IM residency which is just 2 years more and get the board and get into whatever residency u want..

again are u sure prelim IM is less competitive than Categorical IM...im in no good postion and want to take anything that comes...loooool !!!
not sure what amg's do, but img definately choose categorical unless u choose to do neuro/derma sort of things for which u need it. many secure advnaced position first and apply for prelim/ty during scramble.
we all want secure position, don't want to go thru hassle of match again next year but well may be someone will answer u.
whole match is new to me too. still trying to gather documents and hoping some one give me some postion whatever it is.
the problem is u have only 45 positions...so one is so desperate to get a residency..and apply for only 45 ..will they choose prelim or categorical?? it is so limited positions..and one have to choose very wisely what then where he apply!
difference in b/w all of this are here in tis link
http://www.usmletomd.com/tips4match/2007...ional.html
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »