Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bio....2Q - maryam2009
Consider a reaction that can be catalized by one of two enzymes,A and B,with the following kinetics

.....................Km(M).................Vmax(mmol/min)
A...................5*10^-6...............20
B...................5*10^-4...............30

At a concentration of 5*10^-4 M substrate,the velocity of the reaction catlized by enzyme A will be:

A.10
B.15
C.20
D.25
E.30

please explain your answer.Thank you
ans, C, I think v max doesnot change with sub con
v=v max[s]/Km+[s]
c is ans
Agree with CC........
the answer is C

As dr_eurekha mentioned

....the Vmax depends on Number of the enzymes and absolutely unrelated to Substrate concentrations....at the concentration 5*10^-4 ,enzyme A works at its Vmax,which is 20 mmol/min.

Thank you Smile
And you Smile

Hello,

Because I am a little confused, could you please help me understand the question? Does it ask about the velocity of the reaction or the Vmax of the reaction?

Thank you so much,

Elpida
Vmax is the maximum velocity or rate at which the enzyme catalyzed a reaction...and it depends only on Number of the enzymes not substate concentrations,so increased or decreased [substreaes] will not change the amount of Vmax
....so in this case at the new concentration (5*10^-4) ,enzyme A works at its Vmax,which is 20 mmol/min.

Vmax is the maximum velocity or rate at which the enzyme catalyzed a reaction...and it depends only on Number of the enzymes not *substrate concentrations,so increased or decreased* [substrates] will not change the amount of Vmax
....so in this case at the new concentration (5*10^-4) ,enzyme A works at its Vmax,which is 20 mmol/min.

Thank you so much for your explanation. Is the substrate concentration power to -4 or power to 4?

Thank you again, I appreciate your help
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »