Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice grateful kashmd et al - European grad - bruising
thanks kash all USCE recent within last 12 months

all places I iv at were IMG friendly I didnt rotate there though dont think they allow rotations for older IMGs

Will try the networking thing its a bit tough especially when you been out the loop in Ireland as long as I have

I am an IM doc non-fellowship trained

Grateful any other advise Smile
you can apply and get geriatric, palliative care etc fellowships, but personally with your stats I wouldn't go down that road yet, I would schedule as many observerships as you can, and continue practicing in NZ on a PRN basis or whatever just to keep your CV going.

I wouldn't schedule any observerships before March, I really don't think you'll need them, even with 3 IV I think you'll be fine

GL
thanks kash what you say is sensible ++

yes can work in NZ on a locum/prn basis to keep CV going

you think for me its the YOG that has nailed me or is it me needing visa or is it just bad luck!!

thanks man again your contributions to this forum are invaluable
Yep I'm pretty sure you will match and people seem to think YOG is a big deal breaker but honestly if you are an old img has a GC/ citizenship status, they get a lot of ivs. One of my best friends is a US citizen img, YOG 4 yrs ago, failed a lot of exams in med school, avg scores (210-220) and matched to a university program on the East coast. Go figure..
Having said that however I'm positive you will match...your CV is stellar, try to work on the GC issue however. You can file for a GC now and next year you can apply as a pending status permenant resident. You can show them your application for the GC and in the meantime work with an EAD. I'm not sure how it works for Irish citizens...talk to our lawyer.
There are filters for VISA, YOG, etc etc

no doubt with your scores, you were filtered out because of your year of graduation, if you had graduated 2 years ago with those scores regardless of visa status you would have more interviews based on the trends.

with 4000 applications, you aren't making it to the small stack, you are being filtered out, and not getting a set of eyes on your applications. That is why contacts are invaluable just to get a set of eyes on your well rounded application.

I would wait until march, you don't want to network now a) ppl have a short memory b) you might match

but I would start applying for observerships only at places you can match at, damn the application fees, Cleveland Clinic Florida comes to mind.
thanks cesar yes will speak to lawyer there are no GC backlogs for Irish people unlike for Indians/Chinese etc so will see I know filing the GC can take a few months but once approved would get it straightaway

@winnie you dont happen to be an oxbridge grad or from one of the london schools, if so you are definitely 'king of the castle'
YOG 5 years (2010) does filter you out from some, but I thought most a 5yr cut-off. Your scores are excellent, its weird that you didnt get more interviews.
Bruising I'm not from London either. I'm from somewhere else in Western Europe. Very few of us come to the U.S.
I don't know why my post got cut off. I was saying, very few of us come to the U.S. so saying the country would be like saying my real name Wink but I agree, those folks from the London schools are golden!
Drbacchi: I graduated in 2009 and got interviews in programs with a 5 year from grad cutoff. I think they consider your time from graduation at the time you apply in September, so people who finished in 2010 would be 4 years out this year. Not sure it is so for all programs though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »