Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 2017 Family Medicine Residency Thread - diverticulosis
@diverticulosis

Hey, good luck! I think it is awesome that you have all the steps under your belt while you're applying. I have a question about this being your last time. Why is that? Is there a maximum number of attempts to apply for residency?
@diverticulosis Let me add to that Big Grin and clarify that I hope this would be your last time applying with a successful match! (My question was geared more towards finding out if there was a limit/maximum)
@lessoo

So I did a couple of externships in Chicago with doctors who had experience working with medical residents. And they had affiliations with ACGME hospitals with fam residency programs.

I did an externship in Selah Washington with a DO Doctor who was amazing

I have done a couple of observerships in Pennsylvania through allegheny and Drexel
@ Diverticulosis
I feel your pain because this will be my fifth time applying. I don't know of anyone who has applied this many times and has been unsucessful. I was thinking of not applying this year, but I remembered that sometimes we give up just about the time when we could be successful. So I have made up my mind to keep applying.

To keep the frustration down, I got a job in research to pay my bills (not sure if this will improve my resume). I do not go out of my way to improve my resume like I did in the previous years because obviously in my case, only the grace of God will get me a match. I have decided not to see program directors and PCs as people who determine mine faith because they really don't. After all these years of not matching, i thought I will be dead, but I am not dead because there is still life even if you are not an MD.

My advice is that you don't give up. Some day our time will come, and when that time comes, no PD or PC or whoever can change that.
hi clueymd

I was wondering if I can get in touch with you regarding the observership that you have done.
I do really appreciate it if you contact me at usmdca@yahoo.ca whenever you are free.

thanks in advance!
I applied last year half heartedly and the results were dismal. I understand what everyone is going through. Let's be supportive and stick together. My prayers are with everyone. Here are my stats:

All steps first attempt
Step 1: 219
Step 2: 227
CS: Passed first attempt
US Clinical rotations
No research experience and YOG is 2014.
US Citizen

I don't have time for research because I have to pay the bills.
Could you please let me know which website do you guys use to find out IMG friendly programs and for getting your personal statement reviewed?

Thanks
@ clueymd: thanks so much and sorry for the late reply. i've been busy with work and other family engagements so couldn't respond earlier. But i do thank you for ur help. The match has certainly been a struggle, with confusion being my most common feeling. It gets harder and harder as the years go by because I also have bills to pay so I have to work, which takes away time for me to be doing observerships and externships. That is the hardest fact I have had to deal with up to this point. Trying to balance getting residency but also having to pay and still live and pay my bills. But I do appreciate your help i hope ur doing good in residency. BTW, would you be so kind as to tell me or us which state you got your residency in? It might help me or others a little in terms of where to apply. Thanks Smile

@ Cool_Chromosomes: No there aren't any limits on how many times you can apply for residency. I had stated this would be my last time when I initially started this thread because I feel hopeless after every year that passes with no results. Its a horrible feeling and to stop those feelings I told myself I will continue in my allied health field and possible go for an MBA/MHA and try to get into an administrative role in the hospital.

But the more I think about quitting, the more upset I get. Why should I, or anyone quit? I'm a US citizen, college graduate, all steps completed with only 1 failure, etc. So why me? Why am I sitting here working part time jobs and taking allied health courses when others are working in the hospitals fulfilling their dreams? And the more I think the more I feel like working even harder, doing anything I can to land residency. So truth is this may not be my last time, but life still goes on. With a family it is hard to do observership after observership or externship when you have bills to pay such as credit cards, mortgage, etc. This is life for me, but my desire to get residency is really pounding my head and heart to not give up. So you may see me again next year Smile
@missla: I know your pain, believe me. All the feelings you feel I feel the same way. I currently am taking courses in an allied health field, and even though its a good program which I am almost done with and allows me to work in the hospital and see patients, it doesn't take away the sting of not being able to match. Now some of my LOR's are outdated, I have to work part time to pay my bills, I have a family, etc and so for me life continues to happen with not alot of time to just do observerships or externships. So I can only hope to GOD that I get the chance to tell my story during an interview this year.

And your right, I had initially thought of just stopping after this year. The pain of not matching and seeing others match is too much sometimes. But I still feel there is a spot for me somewhere to make a difference. These thoughts still keep me going so I will continue the journey. I hope and wish you the best of luck this year. We will continue to help each other and any one else on this journey as well Smile
Hi guys, I would like to know what is pharma D, can you tell me name of program and I will search for it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »